Work Experience and Volunteering
Work experience and volunteering are great ways to make your applications stand out. Having experience makes you more appealing to potential employers as it helps employers see the additional skills you can bring to their organisation. It can also be a great way of working out what job or industry appeals to you.
Doing work experience or volunteering gives you the chance to:
- Experience the world of work.
- Try out a career you are interested in.
- Find out more about the industry or organisation.
- Gain skills and experiences vital for the world of work.
- Build your confidence.
- Meet new people and build relationships with professionals.
- Show employers what you have to offer.
There are different ways you can gain these experiences, including:
- A short-term work placement.
- Work shadowing.
- Helping friends or family with a business.
- Supporting a charity event.
- Volunteering your time regularly at an organisation.
- Taking part in virtual work experience.
How to find opportunities
Gaining experiences of the workplace doesn't have to be a week placement, even a day of work shadowing can really help you to gain knowledge of that industry.
Kent County Council Work Experience
Kent County Council offer work experience opportunities in many areas of the organisation. To find out more, visit https://www.kent.gov.uk/jobs/starting-your-career/work-experience
If you have any questions about KCC work experience or would like support applying, please contact us on 03000 414 005 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org