Currently viewingCancel
Hey, it looks like you're new! Why not discover the benefits of KentChoices.

A Level Product Design (3D Design)

Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies

Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies
Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies
We are only accepting one application per candidate.

What will you be working towards?

Code NULL
Qualification Type GCE A/AS Level or Equivalent
Qualification Level Level 3
Course type Full Time

Overview

Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. This specification encourages Students to use creativity and imagination when applying iterative design processes to develop and modify designs, and to design and make that solve real world problems, considering their own and others’ needs, wants, aspirations and values. The specification enables Students to identify market needs and opportunities for new products, initiate and develop design solutions, and make and test prototypes.

Details

Students should acquire subject knowledge in design and technology, including how a product can be developed through the stages of prototyping, realisation and commercial manufacture.

Students need to demonstrate expertise in specialist areas, linked to design disciplines that reflect possible higher education routes and industry. This specification enables Students to work creatively when designing and making and apply technical and practical expertise.

How will it be delivered?

AO1 Identify, investigate and outline design possibilities to address needs and wants

AO2 Design and make prototypes that are fit for purpose

AO3 Analyse and evaluate – • design decisions and outcomes, including for prototypes made by themselves and others • wider issues in design and technology

AO4 Demonstrate and apply knowledge and understanding of –

• technical principles

• design and making principles

Below shows the weighting of each assessment objective for each component and for the qualification as a whole.

Component 1: AO3-10%, AO4-40%, Total-50%

Component 2: AO1-15%, AO2-25%, AO3-10%, Total-50%

Overall weighting: AO1-15%, AO2-25%. AO3-20%. AO4-40%, Total-100%

Entry requirements

Sixth Form entry requirements, including Design Technology GCSE at grade 6.

Your next steps...

Possible future pathways include: - Higher Education in Product or Automotive Design, Architecture, Engineering, CAD, Web Design, Architecture, Teaching, Manufacturing or Advertising.

Students who study Product Design often study Physics too. This means Product Design can either be your specialist topic, or play a supporting role for other subjects.

Navigation

Home Courses Help & Guidance Upcoming Events
Sign In
Favourites Get in touch