A Level Spanish
Languages, Literature and Culture
Sorry, we aren't accepting applications at the moment.
What will you be working towards?
||GCE A/AS Level or Equivalent
The Modern Languages Department is one of the most vibrant centres for study in the county and places a lot of emphasis on the idea of lifelong learning and the role of languages in the curriculum. Whilst the main languages of Spanish, French and German are studied on the main curriculum, there are often opportunities to study Arabic, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese and Korean; not to mention the array of visits to the countries where the main languages are spoken. At A Level, there is a lot of variety and students have an opportunity to branch out for their oral topic as they set and research a personal are of interest in the countries of these languages.
Outline of the Course
- Component 1 - Speaking - This unit comprises of 2 parts. The first part is a discussion on a topic chosen by the student. The second part is based on a stimulus card on one of the themes covered at A level and ensuing discussion.
- Component 2 - Listening, reading and translation - Students will be asked to transfer meaning from a number of audio texts and reading texts through multi choice questions, gap filling and question and answer type responses.
- Component 3 - Critical and analytical response in writing - Students will be asked to write two essays based on a text and / or a film which has been studied in class.
- Components include the following topics: travel and exploration, diversity and difference, contemporary youth culture and The Two Spains from 1936 onwards
- Texts and films - El Otro Arbol de Guernica (novel) and Mujeres al Borde de un Ataque de Nervios (film)
How will it be delivered?
Type of Assessment
Examination: Oral assessment – discussion on chosen topic followed by discussion based on a stimulus card
Examination: Listening, reading and translation from target language to English and English to target language
2 hours 30 minutes
Examination: Writing assessment – based on texts or films
Guarantees a place on the course: 7 in Spanish
Your next steps...
You could take this course with other advanced level course or equivalent to prepare for higher education in Spanish, Languages or more general higher education courses.With further training, you could go into a job requiring a knowledge of Spanish or Languages such as a Teacher, Translator, or you may wish to use your Spanish to study or work over in Spain.The course will also help you develop the skills, understanding and knowledge that many employers across lots of industries are looking for, especially in the travel and tourism sector.You could take this course to complement other advanced level courses or to prepare for the A2 part of an Advanced GCE in Spanish, which could lead you onto higher education to study Spanish, Languages or more general higher education courses.With further training, you could go into a job requiring a knowledge of Spanish or Languages such as a Teacher, Translator, or you may wish to use your Spanish to study or work over in Spain.You could also go straight into a job as the AS GCE is a recognised qualification that will help you develop the skills, understanding and knowledge that many employers across lots of industries are looking for, especially in the travel and tourism sector.