This course is offered as BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate.
Unit 1 (externally assessed):
Principles and Applications of Science 1. This unit covers key science concepts in biology, chemistry and physics.
Unit 2 (Coursework):
Practical Scientific Procedures and Technique. Learners will be introduced to quantitative laboratory techniques, calibration, chromatography, calorimetry and laboratory safety which are relevant to the chemical and life science industries.
Unit 3 (controlled investigation):
Science Investigation Skills- A task set and marked by Pearson and completed under supervised conditions.
• The supervised assessment is arranged over two sessions in a three-week period timetabled by Pearson.
• The supervised assessment sessions are 3 hours for Part A and 1.5 hours for Part B.
• Practical investigation and written submission.
Learners will cover the stages involved and the skills needed in planning a scientific investigation: how to record, interpret, draw scientific conclusions and evaluate.
The final unit will be decided from the following list, one unit will be chosen for all learners:
• Physiology of Human Body Systems
• Human Regulation and Reproduction
• Biological Molecules and Metabolism
• Genetics and Genetic Engineering
• Diseases and Infections
• Applications of Inorganic
• Applications of Organic Chemistry
• Electrical Circuits and their Application
• Astronomy and Space Science
The equivalent of two 4-9 grades at GCSE.