Currently viewingCancel
Hey, it looks like you're new! Why not discover the benefits of KentChoices.

Science (Applied) BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate

Science and Mathematics

Science and Mathematics
Science and Mathematics
Sorry, we aren't accepting applications at the moment.

What will you be working towards?

Code NULL
Qualification Type National Award (BTEC)
Qualification Level Level 3
Course type Full Time

Overview

Employability skills, such as team working and entrepreneurialism, and practical hands-on skills have been built into the design of the learning aims and content. This gives students the opportunity to use relevant contexts, scenarios and materials to develop a portfolio of evidence that demonstrates the breadth of their skills and knowledge in a way that equips them for employment.

This is an excellent course for anyone who enjoys Science but does not want to study at Advanced Level.

Details

Students will learn how theoretical science can be applied in the workplace. They will complete three mandatory units and one optional unit with a clear focus on practical work.

The course is split evenly with three compulsory units and one optional unit completed over the two year course. 58% of the final grade is externally assessed and the other 42% is internally assessed through coursework.

Year 12 Units

Unit 1 - Principles and applications of science.

Assessment: 1.5 hour examination in June of Year 12.

Unit 2 - Practical scientific procedures and techniques (internally assessed and externally verified).

Assessment: internal assessment with external moderation.

Year 13 Units

Unit 3 - Science investigative skills

Assessment: 1.5 hour examination in January of Year 13 after students have carried out a practical investigation.

Unit 10 - Biochemistry

Assessment: internal assessment with external moderation.

How will it be delivered?

A combination of classroom study, self study and enrichment activities.

Entry requirements

GCSE mathematics, English Language and Science all at grade 4 or above.

Your next steps...

This qualification is recognised by UCAS and has a recognised tariff value. Many universities will accept this qualification for admission onto courses such as nursing, midwifery, biomedical science and other applied science courses. The BTEC can lead to careers as a laboratory technician, nursing, paramedic and more.

Navigation

Home Courses Help & Guidance Upcoming Events
Sign In
Favourites Get in touch