Spanish is a global language, is the third most spoken language in the world, and the most spoken language in the Americas meaning that Opportunities for immersion are all around you.
Spanish is easy to learn, easy to start speaking quickly and will enable you to connect to the Spanish language and culture through its art, music, cinema and literature.
The A Level specification builds on the knowledge, understanding and skills gained at GCSE. It constitutes an integrated study with a focus on language, culture and society. It fosters a range of transferable skills including communication, critical thinking, research skills and creativity, which are valuable to the individual and society.
Paper 1: Listening, Reading and Writing
• Aspects of Hispanic society
• Artistic culture in the Hispanic world
• Multiculturalism in Hispanic society
• Aspects of political life in Hispanic society
Assessment: written examination of 2.5 hours. 40% of A Level
Paper 2: Writing
• One text and one film or two texts from the list set in the specification
Assessment: written exam: of two hours. 30% of A Level
Paper 3: Speaking
• Individual research project
• One of four sub-themes: aspects of Hispanic society; artistic culture in the Hispanic world; multiculturalism in Hispanic society; or, aspects of political life in Hispanic society.
Assessment: Oral exam: 21 to 23 minutes (including five minutes preparation time). 30% of A Level.
A combination of classroom study, self study and enrichment activities.
GCSE Spanish grade 7 or above.
Language degrees can open up opportunities in areas that you may never even have thought to look and language skills are increasing in demand across many business and industry sectors.
Teaching, translating and interpreting are clear career options, but the list below aims to look beyond the obvious into the exciting potential job that could be in your future with a language degree.
Foreign civil service, airline services, advertising, editing and publishing, subtitles and voice overs, event management, nursing, sommelier, import/export specialist and hotel management.