Art & Design A Level

Arts, Media and Publishing

Arts, Media and Publishing
Arts, Media and Publishing
We are only accepting one application per candidate.

What will you be working towards?

Code NULL
Qualification Type GCE A/AS Level or Equivalent
Qualification Level Level 3
Course type Full Time

Overview

Art, Craft and Design develops many creative and problem solving skills which are important in university courses such as fashion and textile design, graphic design, product design, painting, sculpture, interior design, animation, photography and ceramics. It is also helpful for careers in Architecture, Teaching, Exhibition Design, Conservation, Web Design, Marketing, Television Production and Journalism.

Details

The new A Level in Art, Craft and Design is a two year course, which has two components. Coursework which counts for 60% of the final grade, and an exam which takes place at the end of the second year which counts for the remaining 40% coursework starts with an investigation into a range of media and techniques including painting, sculpture, photography, creative textiles and mixed media. Then, after selecting a personal starting point, they will research and gather relevant visual stimulus to enable them to develop and refine a range of ideas leading to a creative finished piece of work in a media of their choice. They will also undertake an in-depth written study and analysis of an aspect of artist’s and designer’s work that relates to their work. Candidates receive the exam paper at the beginning of February of the second year and after a planning and preparation time of approximately eight weeks undertake a fifteen hour exam during which they produce a finished piece of work.

Entry requirements

To study Art, Craft and Design at A Level, students are required to achieve a minimum of a grade 6 at GCSE Art and Design.