BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate Animal Management (Block C)
Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Care
What will you be working towards?
||National Award (BTEC)
An engaging qualification to support learners who want to pursue a career in an animal-related industry. It is intended as a Tech Level qualification and is equivalent in size to one A Level. It prepares learners for an Apprenticeship in animal management.
The ability to:
- Learn independently
- Research actively and methodically
- Give presentations and be active
- Manage your time and work
- Be adaptable and resilient
- Read technical texts
- Write effectively
Composed of 5 compulsory units:
- Animal Welfare and Ethics
- Practical Animal Husbandry
- Animal Behaviour
- Animal Health and Diseases
- Work Experience in the Animal Sector
How will it be delivered?
External Assessment: Unit 3.
Set task – After a period of preparation using set information learners take the assessment during a defined window and demonstrate
understanding through completion of a vocational task.
Internal Assessments: Units 4-7.
Learners are given opportunities to:
- Demonstrate practical and
technical skills using appropriate
equipment and processes
- Complete realistic tasks to meet
specific briefs or particular
- Write up the findings of their own
- Use case studies to explore
complex or unfamiliar situations
- Carry out projects for which they
have choice over the direction and
Including 75 hours of work experience with an employer in the sector
English Literature or Language Grade 4 or above
Your next steps...
This qualification is primarily designed to support progression to employment. Learners completing
this qualification could access entry-level roles in areas such as:
- Kennel or cattery assistant
- Animal care assistant in animal
businesses, charities or wildlife
- Retail assistant in pet or animal-
related retail establishments
- Assistant to an animal trainer, e.g.
trainer of assistance dogs for the
- Animal technician in animal
- Inspector for animal charities such
Taken alongside A Levels in Biology and Chemistry, or BTEC Applied Science, it could lead to a degree programme:
- BSc (Hons) in Animal Management
- BSc (Hons) in Applied Animal
- BSc (Hons) in Zoology