This course is a work based qualification and is ideal for students wishing to enter the industry. This provides them with the skills needed for the profession. The course also enables them to gain work experience on a weekly basis in the hospitality industry.
They get the opportunity to work in industry and also to see some examples of fine dining and food service in local restaurants and in London.
This course is designed to equip learners with the skills required to enter the hospitality profession. The course is underpinned by the knowledge of all the tutors on the course through their different expertise.
The qualifications are industry standard and follows a progression pathway as follows:
- NVQ Level 2 in professional cookery
- NVQ level 2 in food and beverage services
- NVQ level 3 professional cookery
This is in addition to looking at particular units of your choice and will focus on areas of strengths once you have been on the course. You will pick the units from a choice of the following:
- Maintenance of a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Working effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintain handle and clean knives
- Cook and finish basic meat dishes
- Cook and finish basic fish dishes
- Cook and finish basic poultry dishes
- Cook and finish complex fish dishes
- Cook and finish complex meat dishes
- Cook and finish complex poultry dishes
- Cook and finish complex vegetable dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex hot sauces
- Prepare, cook and finish dressings and cold sauces
Students are assessed with coursework and practical skills.
Preferably previous experience studying food technology and a real passion and interest in cooking. Must have at least a Level 1 in numeracy and literacy to enable you to start the NVQ
All courses are designed to give students the skills needed to enter the hospitality profession; they can progress to become chefs and catering managers.
A degree in hospitality management and catering or a graduate trainee management schemes from large chains of hotels.