The EPQ is an independent research project on a topic of your choice which must be an extension of your A-level study. You will produce either a 5000 word essay or an artefact supported by a 1500 word report.
You will be taught research skills and provided with supervision to guide you through the research process. The EPQ attracts UCAS points up to A* and is highly regarded by Russell Group Universities and providers of Higher Level Apprenticeships.
The Extended Project offers the opportunity for learners to:
- extend their knowledge and understanding of a specific topic
- develop as critical, independent, self-evaluative learners by improving and reviewing their own learning and performance
- develop their communication and presentation skills
- demonstrate initiative, creativity and flexibility in responding to challenges and in applying new technologies, where appropriate
- support their personal aspirations for higher education and employment
Students compile an Extended Project File as evidence of their work for assessment. This is presented to a panel of people from business.
The 100% coursework made up of:
60% - Process including Proposal, Planning, Project Management, Application of Research, Evaluation
40% Outcome either an artifact and 1500 word report or a 5000 word dissertation
Students who join the Leigh UTC on either the Technical or Academic Pathway will study the Extended Project Qualification
Minimum 5 GCSE grade 9-4 including English and Maths