The following areas can be covered within this qualification:
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain, handle and clean knives
- Prepare fish for basic dishes
- Prepare meat for basic dishes
- Prepare poultry for basic dishes
- Cook and finish basic offal dishes
- Cook and finish basic vegetable dishes
- Cook-chill food
- Cook-freeze food
- Prepare, cook and finish basic hot sauces
- Prepare cook and finish basic soups
- Produce healthier dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cold and hot desserts
- Prepare and present food for cold presentation
Learners will complete the mandatory units, plus the required optional units to achieve the full qualification.
NVQs are assessed at work or in a simulated workplace. For each unit your assessor watches and asks questions as you perform a task, or looks at a portfolio of work that you've built as formal evidence of your learning. Then they confirm you've got the skills to do the job well.
For learners who either have gone straight into employment or for those who have achieved their level 1 qualification and want to prepare for further learning or training in the Hospitality & Catering sector. This qualification is suitable for anyone over 16 years old.
Informal interview with Chef, by appointment.
This qualification could lead to jobs in:
• Commis chef
• Chef de Partie
The learner could progress onto an apprenticeship at level 3 in hospitality & catering, or other qualifications such as:
• Level 3 Diploma in Hospitality Supervision and Leadership (NVQ)
• Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery
• Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery
• Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery (Preparation & Cooking)
• Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery (Patisserie and Confectionery)
• Level 3 Diploma in Professional Patisserie and Confectionery