Barton Court Grammar School
Welcome to Barton Court Grammar School
OPEN EVENING 2020
We look forward to you joining us for our Sixth Form Open Evening which will be held on Wednesday 29 January from 6.45pm - 9.00pm.
On this evening there will be two talks in the School Hall, one at 7.00pm and the second at 8.00pm. Booking for these talks is essential to avoid disappointment. Please contact email@example.com to reserve your tickets. Please include current School, number of tickets required and the time of the talk you wish to attend.
Barton Court Grammar School is an Ofsted “Outstanding” School (March 2014). We are one of the few co-educational selective schools in the country delivering both high academic standards within a very caring and supportive school community. Our Sixth Form is enriched by international students joining from countries in Europe and worldwide to complete their qualifications with us as well as welcoming students from other local schools and valuing our own Year 11 students staying with us for the Sixth Form. If you are looking for a small, friendly school with a strong emphasis on outstanding teaching and learning with high academic standards in a well maintained environment with quality facilities and quality support then we look forward to meeting you.
School’s Mission Statement: At Barton Court Grammar School, students are supported, inspired and challenged to achieve their very best in all that they do, in order to reach their full potential and academic excellence. Students develop into independent, confident, open minded, life-long learners ready to take their place as leaders in the 21st Century. Students develop into well-balanced, articulate, principled and responsible global citizens, with cultural and international awareness, who positively contribute to our School and the wider community.
At Barton Court, the Sixth Form Team works together to ensure a safe and positive environment for our Sixth Form students to thrive and develop during their time with us. Sixth Form students have structured pastoral support through a team which consists of:
- Director of Sixth Form: responsible for Sixth Form and Year 13
- Head of Year 12
- Form Tutors
- A designated Sixth Form Pastoral Manager
- A designated Sixth Form Learning Mentor
- A designated UCAS Co-Ordinator
What makes us different?
At Barton Court we are pleased to offer the following unique selling points to help support the development of our students and enrich the opportunities available to them:
- A broad and balanced curriculum which includes a mixture of A Level and BTEC subjects
- The opportunity for all students to complete the Extended Learning Project (EPQ) to develop a range of independent skills, beneficial for life Post-18
- A thriving University Centred Learning Programme (UCLP) to develop opportunities beyond the school curriculum
- A dedicated careers adviser to offer support and advice to support Post-18 destinations
- A dedicated week long work experience to develop experiences and opportunities in the world of work
- Dedicated Enrichment Days throughout the School year
We are also lucky to have a range of excellent facilities available to help support the progress and development of our students. These include:
- Brand new building with refectory and new mathematics and biology classrooms.
- University standard sports hall, climbing wall and fitness rooms.
- Heavily reduced price gym membership for Sixth Form Students.
- 5 tennis courts, 4 sports pitches.
- 10 well maintained and fully resourced Science laboratories, three of which are in the new building.
- Two Sixth Form Common Rooms
- Large Sixth Form Study Centre with 60 computers designated only for Sixth Form use only
- Biometric registration for study periods
- ID badges for signing on and off site
- “Bring Your Own Device Scheme” for Sixth Form Students to access our Industry Standard Wireless technology.
- Fully refurbished Art, Music and Drama facilities.
- Well-resourced and maintained Product Design room with 3D printer and laser cutter.
- Drama theatre with tiered seating and newly improved lighting.
Transport to and from School falls to the responsibility of the student. There is a school bus service which travels to the local coastal towns and the School is a short walk to the town centre which provides transport links out of Canterbury. Students in the Sixth Form are eligible for the 16+ Travel Saver Card and are advised to apply for this. For students who have passed their driving test, driving to and from School is permitted although parking is off site only.
There are additional support programmes in place for students who wish to apply for medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, law, STEM and Oxbridge. In addition there is a support programme for students who wish to Aim High and apply for places at Russell Group Universities/Top 25 and university places overseas in America, Europe or Australia.
Students with Additional Educational Needs are supported effectively by our pastoral team and SEN team, whilst support is also available for pursuits outside the curriculum. Students are encouraged to take on leadership responsibilities with the School's prefect structure, and guided if they wish to complete Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award or develop First Aid Skills with the Red Cross.
Students in the Sixth Form have the opportunity to apply for the 16+ Bursary to help support them with their Post-16 studies. Eligible students are directed towards this if they do not initially apply.
A Level students are encouraged to take the prestigious AQA Baccalaureate by studying for 4 A Level subjects, EPQ and completing enrichment activities. Each of these have a designated responsible member of staff to lead and advise the students.
Each student also studies the EPQ and has their own mentor/supervisor. Students are prepared for life beyond Barton Court during our Enrichment Days and are given the opportunity to complete work experience at the end of Year 12, as well as attend many trips/visits.