Simon Langton Girls' Grammar School
Applications Open: - 2nd November 2020
Applications Close: - 8th March 2021
Entry into Simon Langton Girls’ Grammar Sixth Form
You will need at least eight GCSE passes in full courses at grade 9 – 5, including Mathematics and English Language.
Entry on to your chosen courses
- A Grade 7 for your chosen course is desirable and a Grade 6 is essential
- Students should achieve a Grade 7 7 in Dual Science and a Grade 6 in Maths to study Science A Levels
- Students who have not studied a subject at GCSE and who wish to take up that subject at A Level will be talked to on a case by case basis
- Students who have studied non-GCSE qualifications will be assessed on a case by case basis
- For variations and new courses that are not offered at GCSE, please visit our website: www.langton.kent.sch.uk
How to Apply: - Please apply via KentChoices
Simon Langton Girls' Grammar School
Simon Langton Girls’ Grammar School (SLGGS) has a mixed Sixth Form and represents the pinnacle of our students’ achievements. A long-standing pillar of the community, we have a history of academic excellence and a tradition of sending our students to the best colleges, institutes and universities worldwide.
Our school motto, "Meliora Sequamur" (let's aim for better things) underlines our 800 year-old tradition of commitment to excellence and our belief that we are lifted up and borne aloft by the understanding gained by those who have gone before us.
What makes us different?
Students study 3 or 4 A Level subjects and the Langton Extended Curriculum develops essential graduate and 21st century skills that are highly sought after by FE institutions and employers;
- Wednesday afternoons: Students enrol for one of our award winning research projects
- Friday mornings: Students attend a lecture programme delivered by world leading experts in their field
- Full time Careers Adviser offers unlimited 1:1 guidance appointments throughout Years 12 and 13
- Twice weekly tutorials in Terms 4 and 5 and ‘Careers Lessons’ in term 6 (Year 12)
- Careers Fair, Study Abroad Fair, ‘Future Evening’ and Finance Evening (Years 12 and 13)
- Personal statement clinics, mock interview panels and the ‘UCAS Preparation Programme
- One of only three schools in Britain to achieve all 8 Gatsby Benchmarks
- Medics, Dentists, Vets (MDV) Programme has resulted in 100% success rate in securing offers in Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine for the last 7 years
- Oxbridge Programme has resulted in 46% of students who apply being made offers
- Ivy League Programme has resulted in year on year increases in applications to the US
- Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) Programme introduces students to the world of economic, political and philosophical thought
- Degree Apprenticeship Programme has resulted in increasing numbers of students accessing these highly competitive courses
- The Mind Lab@SLGGS, our ground breaking centre for psychological research – the only one of its kind in Britain – takes students beyond the Psychology curriculum
- The Langton Language Centre (LLC) provides students with the opportunity to take the TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course, learn languages that are not part of the curriculum including Arabic, Chinese and countless others and take part in original research
- The Langton Music and Drama School provides opportunities for all students who are interested in acting, singing, playing, conducting or events planning to pursue their interests outside of the curriculum
- Our elite athletes have access to the Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS) run by university sports scientists, conditioning coaches, nutritionists, psychologists, lifestyle practitioners and UK anti-doping educators
- Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award and links to the FA coaching programme allows students to develop skills, stamina and volunteering
- Students travel to dozens of destinations in Years 12 and 13 from Vietnam to Greece, Amsterdam to Italy (COVID allowing)
- Our weekly briefing gives students access to events and opportunities locally and nationally and our monthly ‘BWell’ newsletter focuses on our students’ well-being
- Small classes enable you to discuss and debate issues with greater freedom where you will be taught by the most knowledgeable and passionate subject experts who will give you the best foundation for the next exciting stage of your life
- Those who stay at Simon Langton Girls' Grammar School see their lives change as they receive more individual attention, increased privileges and develop their intellectual independence
- The young men and women who join us are given an induction which includes being part of our ‘’Langton pods’’, teambuilding and mixing with Sixth Formers at our social events
- There are over 20 Clubs and Societies such as the Eco, BAME and LGBT Societies and student publications, journals and magazines such as Young Scientists Journal and the F-Word (Feminist Magazine)
All Sixth Form students benefit from the exceptional level of care that we provide. Our dedicated Sixth Form Pastoral Manager, tutor team and our wellbeing team work with our teaching staff to provide day to day support, whilst ensuring that specialist support is there if needed.
Our dedicated SEN Learning Base ensures that all students are supported to fulfill their potential, embodying our personalised approach to every student and the Assistant Head of Sixth Form offers individualised support for students to encourage them to make the jump from GCSE.
Our Sixth Form students themselves, whose maturity enables them to play a key role in supporting those in the lower school, act as Form Guardians, peer and subject mentors. Head students lead and manage the students in Years 7-13, House Captains manage whole school events and oversee the school's charitable work and Senior Prefects oversee the day to day running of the school - all are elected to their post in Year 12.
Application Timeline 2020-2021:
- 28th January 2021, 5.30pm: Sixth Form Open Evening (virtual) - link on website/Kent Choices
- 8th March 2021: Deadline for applications via Kent Choices
- 18th, 21st and 22nd June 2021: Pre-Sixth Induction Days (08.45-15.10)
- Thursday 12th August: GCSE Results Day/Enrolment Day
Introduction from the Head of Sixth Form - 'Your future starts here' video presentation
Our new school building - video