Experiences of the workplace - Every pupil should have first-hand experiences of the workplace through work visits, work shadowing and/or work experience to help their exploration of career opportunities and expand their networks.
A meaningful experience of the workplace can be defined as meeting the following minimum requirements:
- Learning outcomes are defined that support students to develop the knowledge, skills, and behaviours that build careers readiness.
- Student meets a range of people from the workplace.
- There is extensive two-way interaction between the student and employees.
- Student must perform a task or produce a piece of work relevant to that workplace and receive feedback on it from the employer.
Please Note: we are continually developing these pages, please Get In Touch if links are not working or you have any ideas to help us improve the site.
The following are great examples of meaningful experiences of the workplace.
- Flexible Work Placements - a day, two days, a week
- Insight Days
- Work Shadowing
- Employer Safari’s
- Volunteering/Community Action
- In-school employer workshops/projects
- In-school placements within existing facilities (eg: school café or garden including employer input)
- Visit the 'Work Experience Finder' page on KentChoices to explore a wide range of work experience opportunities.
- The Barclays LifeSkills website provides links to virtual work experience opportunities and resources within their business and beyond.
- Whether students are looking for work experience, thinking about their next step after or a career after university, EY UK want to help them find the right role.
- Find free virtual work experience opportunities for students.
- Students can explore pathways to all kinds of industries and connect with innovative and exciting businesses.
- Students can visit this website to find out about work experience in the construction industry.
- The academy is a partnership of health and care organisations in Kent and Medway aimed at supporting people who are looking for careers in health and social care.
- Browse a wide range of work experience opportunities.
- Find information about work experience and explore a wide range of opportunities.
- Discover exciting work experience opportunities.
- Find a wide range of virtual work experience opportunities.
- Professional network for young people.
Health and safety advice for schools and colleges about students doing work experience placements.
Health and safety advice and guidance for employers looking to offer work experience.
- Developed in partnership with Careermap, this step by step guide contains all the information employers need to offer experiences of the workplace to young people.
- Health and safety advice and guidance for employers looking to offer work experience.